SSPC PCI Level 1 / Coating Training
Duration: 5 days (45 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam
First Five Days: 9.00 AM – 6:00 PM
Cost: – INR: 1,20,000 (Level 1 )
Credits: 4.5 CEUs
Certification Term: 4 years
The objective of SSPC PCI Level 1 course is to thoroughly train individuals in the proper methods. The inspecting surface preparation and installation of industrial and marine protective coatings and lining systems on an array of industrial structures and facilities are being demonstrated in the class.
There are no prerequisites to attend the SSPC PCI Level 1. However, this course is not an entry level course. Candidates should be prepared for an intense and fast-paced week of training with evening homework and study in order to cover an extensive amount of information in five days. PCI meets the requirements of ASTM D 3276 and the IMO Performance Standard for Protective Coatings and IACS Common Structural Rules (CSR).
Course Content (SSPC PCI Level 1)
- Corrosion Prevention Using Coatings
- Quality Assurance/Control
- Surface Preparation & Inspection
- Practical Math
- Coating Application & Inspection
- Industrial Coatings & Painting Systems
- Specialty Inspection Projects
- Coating Failures & Methods of Prevention
- Inspector Safety
- Painting Specifications
- Simulated Pre-job Conference
- Inspection Procedure Development
- Simulated Project Inspection
- IMO Inspector Training Requirements
- Risk Management
- Project Acceptance and Close-out
Benefits of Attending
- Recognize the common duties, responsibilities, and the role of an industrial coatings inspector
- Recognise the role of the painting manufacturer on a coatings project
- Describe the authority of a coatings inspector
- Explain the importance of thorough documentation
- Identify the differences between quality assurance and quality control and the common duties of quality assurance and quality control personnel
- Describe the purpose and content of a pre-job or preconstruction conference
- Explain the importance of ethics of inspection personnel
- Describe methods used to evaluate coating performance prior to full-scale installation
- Describe the unique aspects of performing coatings inspection on an overcoating project, and on projects employing thermal spray coatings, powder coatings and duplex coating systems
- Describe how coatings inspection can help prevent premature coating failure
- List potential safety hazards associated with coatings inspection
- Prepare an inspection plan/procedure
- Perform coatings inspection on industrial projects
- Compare inspection results to specification requirements
Course Format (SSPC PCI Level 1)
The course provides participants five days of intensive training and includes multiple workshops and problem solving exercises. The participants may immediately apply the learning in a classroom setting without the pressures of production and project schedules. In order to enhance the learning environment and illustrate the importance of teamwork, the workshops and exercises will be done in small teams. The PCI Level 1 course is completed with a comprehensive written examination and a practical (instrument use) examination.
What is the Next Step After I Complete the PCI Level 1?
Students passing both components of the Level 1 course exam at 70% or higher and meeting the prerequisites for Level 2 Certification can take the written and hands-on Level 2 certification exams on Day 6.
Who Should Attend
Coatings project managers, quality managers, inspectors, contractor supervisory level personnel, coating specification writers or coatings or equipment suppliers, coating consultants, or technical service representatives involved in the steel protective coatings industry.
The program also employs a Disciplinary Action Criteria (DAC) and administrative procedures establishing rules for:
- issuing warnings to inspectors;
- placing inspectors on probation;
- suspending, revoking, or denying certification of inspectors who are cited for critical faults in safety, workmanship, ethical practice, and criminal law, that have been reported and verified.
To contact HTC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here